When carving pumpkins for Halloween or making a delicious pumpkin pie, don't let the seeds go to waste! Roasted pumpkin seeds are a crunchy and nutritious snack that's incredibly easy to make.
- Pumpkin seeds: Scooped from a medium-sized pumpkin
- Olive oil or melted butter
- Salt: To taste
- Optional seasonings: You can get creative here! Some popular choices include cinnamon and sugar, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, or any of your favorite spices.
1. Preheat the Oven
Begin by preheating your oven to 300°F (150°C). This ensures the pumpkin seeds will roast evenly.
2. Clean and Prepare the Pumpkin Seeds
- After scooping the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin, place them in a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. This step helps remove any remaining pulp and strings from the seeds.
- Pat the seeds dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Make sure they're completely dry before proceeding.
3. Boil the Pumpkin Seeds
- Transfer the clean, dry pumpkin seeds to a pot of lightly salted water. Bring the water to a boil, then let the seeds simmer for about 10 minutes. This boiling step helps make the seeds tender on the inside.
4. Drain and Dry
- After boiling, drain the pumpkin seeds and spread them on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to dry. Allow them to air dry for approximately 15-30 minutes. This ensures they roast well in the oven.
5. Season and Toss
- In a bowl, mix the dried pumpkin seeds with a drizzle of olive oil or melted butter. Toss them until each seed is lightly coated.
6. Add Seasonings
- Sprinkle salt over the oiled or buttered seeds according to your taste. If you desire additional flavor, add your chosen seasonings. Get creative with cinnamon and sugar for a sweet twist or opt for a spicy kick with cayenne pepper.
7. Roast in the Oven
- Spread the seasoned pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure they're evenly distributed for even roasting.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-45 minutes or until the pumpkin seeds are golden brown and crispy. Stir them occasionally for even roasting.
- Once roasted to your desired level of crispiness, remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the pumpkin seeds cool completely. Then, enjoy this delightful autumn snack!
Roasting pumpkin seeds is an excellent way to make the most of your pumpkin-carving festivities. This easy recipe allows you to transform pumpkin seeds into a crunchy and flavorful treat that's perfect for snacking. Experiment with various seasonings to find your favorite combination and relish the delightful taste of roasted pumpkin seeds all season long!